Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Politics, Chuck Norris and Cody's Wish

It is a day after mid-term elections in the US. I am not writing to share my viewpoints on politics - I am writing to share my hope for the future.

It seems that the majority of people running for office this year focused their campaigns on taking out expensive ads that made their opponent(s) look bad, not on the content of their own character or what they will do to better the world. I had to spend a great deal of time researching the candidates and their history and beliefs in order for me to make my decisions.
As I was researching each candidate, I found myself hoping to find people who had the strength to stand up to a challenge, and despite knowing they wouldn't always be popular, fight for the things that would help us to move forward. (Not an easy job, for sure!) I didn't want to elect those who saw blame in issues, but moreso, those who saw the opportunity in improving them. As I thought about this, I was reminded of a column written by Chuck Norris this summer. Let me tell you why this column has such significant meaning to me.

(Bear with me through this unusual transition)
I am a wish granter for Make A Wish (which means I volunteer time to work with/grant the wishes of Wish Kids. A few years ago, as I met one of my wish children, I immediately fell in awe of his soul. Cody, who had muscular dystrophy, sped over to me in his wheelchair, nearly knocking me over, telling me how excited he was for my arrival. He was smiling from ear-to-ear. He gave me a hug and had the energy of 10 children in one little body.
I spent hours with his family that day and knew that Cody was a very special 9 year old. Whenever I tried to talk about his illness, he said, 'I'm ok, I worry about my mom, not me'. And then he would turn and play with his siblings, as if he hadn't missed a beat. When it finally got to the point in the visit where I asked Cody what his wish was, he pointed to the cowboy hat he had on, his collection of Walker Texas Ranger DVDs and in his best 'Chuck Norris' voice, said, 'I want to meet Chuck Norris'. I smiled as he talked non-stop about his admiration of Chuck and how great it would be to meet him. When I asked, 'Why Chuck?' He responded, 'Because he can overcome anything!'.
Typically we ask children to have a second option, if their first wish isn't able to be granted (especially with a celebrity wish). He said, "I don't have one."

Two and half years later, after multiple check-ins where I asked if he still wanted to wait for Chuck, we received the phone call that Chuck was honored by his request and invited Cody down to his ranch for a day. Unfortunatley, in that two and a half years, Cody's body had severly weakened. He could no longer give me a hug when I walked in the door, and his high energy had decreased to quiet conversation and jokes. But, despite his drastically different outward appearance, his inner being hadn't changed a bit. His kindness, he love for his mother, his attitude in life -all intact and strong. Maybe even stronger than before.

A week later, Cody went to Chuck's ranch to spend a day with him. Chuck and his wife, Gena, could not have been more gracious and giving. While I wasn't along for the wish, I later watched a video that the Norris family had made for Cody. Everytime I watch it, I am filled with tears. Cody, while he couldn't outwardly show his excitement due to his weakness, was filled with absolute joy on that day. He forgot he was sick for a moment and met one of his greatest heros. One of the details I was most worried about was the fact that Cody had asked if he could ride horses with Chuck. At this point, he was so weak, we didn't think it would be possible. But, Chuck hoisted Cody up on a horse with him and wrapped his arms around him as they walked around his ranch on horseback. To see an angel smiling was to see the look on Cody's face when Chuck held him and they rode. While it was painful for him, it was the time of his life. After horseback riding, whenever they walked to a different part of the ranch, Chuck carried Cody.

When Cody arrived home, he was too weak to give hugs anymore on his own. When he wanted to hug me, his mother had to place his arms around me. While in this 'hug', I asked him what the best part of his wish was... he explained. 'My hero carried me when I wan't strong enough to go it alone.' (If you are a spiritual person, this will have double-meaning to you, as it does me).

So how does this relate back to politics?
I have spoken to groups all over the country about various wishes I have granted... In August, I was in Cleveland talking to a corporation about Make A Wish and shared Cody's wish. While I was waiting to speak, I was placed in the same office as the CEO for the Make A Wish Foundation in the area. She and I talked briefly and I told her which story I would be sharing. She said, 'isn't Cody the boy who passed away a month ago.' While it is tradition for a wish granter to learn of a passing, I had not been told and immediately felt a lump in my throat. She mentioned that Chuck had written a nice column about Cody shortly after his passing. A minute before going on stage to present, I read Chuck's column and was filled with tears (not exactly how I wanted to make my entrance!!)

While I do not write this to promote one political belief or another, I do write this to echo Chuck's comments on Cody in the column. He mentions how we need more leaders in office that demonstrate the same character as Cody. He goes on to describe their friendship and Cody's amazing ability to love the world, despite his crippling disease.

Sometimes we get so caught up in this busy and complicated world, that we forget the importance of getting back to basics, being honest, being thoughtful, and starting to change the world, by caring about the world. Caring about others, and believing that we can become what we want to be. Cody was an incredibly strong young man, who never complained about the cards he drew in life, he just wanted to embrace the blessings he had. He didn't blame anyone or anything for his challenges. He just accepted them and moved forward.

If you'd like to read what Chuck had to say about Cody, you can find his column by clicking here.
We need more 'Codys' in the world - in leadership, in friendship, and in life. I hope you will think of this story the next time you decide who you choose to follow as a leader, and how you decide to get through life's challenges. It's about moving forward and finding opportunity, not blame.

...and while Cody shared that Chuck was his hero, my guess is that Cody is also Chuck's.
Want to help raise money to fund a wish like Cody's? Julie started her own fundraising effort for wishes called, 'Julie's Wish'- to check it out, please click here.

No comments: